I bought an exercise bike from Amazon with a two-year extended warranty. I never received the warranty (it still is not listed on my Amazon orders), so I contacted Amazon, and then received it from Warrantech (SmartGuard) as an e-mail.

The bike broke in 8 months.The manufacturer covered parts for 3 months only . I tried to file a claim with Warrantech and they said they probably couldn't cover it because my manufacturer's warranty was probably a year so there's would start after that year. I provided proof to them that it was no longer covered by the manufacturer. They said over the phone they filed a claim.

They then suddenly approved the claim, no other questions asked, and said I would be receiving an Amazon gift card in the value I paid for the bike - sent to me by snail mail. I received it today. It was all wrapped up in a nice box -- and it doesn't work. It looks like a fake gift card.

The claim code doesn't work. I called Amazon, and they said there was nothing in the card.

They are looking into it. I think SmartGuard and Warrantech is a scam.

Product or Service Mentioned: Warrantech Stationary Bicycle Warranty.

Reason of review: SCAM?.

Comments

Most extended warranties are borderline scams. You mustn't think of them as a factory or manufacturer's warranty.

They are more like catastrophic insurance companies whose first two departments when you enter the building are : Delay Dept. and Deny Dept.Extended warranties are one of the most common gripes on this website and not usually worth the paper upon which they are (or are not) printed.

Warrantech Reviews